Principal Engineer- Clean Water
Mott MacDonaldFull time Full day
We're looking for experienced and motivated candidates with the following attributes:
- Chartered or Incorporated Civil engineer, or alternatively, significant experience in the delivery of potable water pipelines and networks design projects.
- Proven ability to lead a portfolio of technical projects, ensuring compliance with relevant quality assurance and technical standards
- Strong technical design capability in the delivery of clean water pipelines and pumping / booster stations
- Ability to coordinate and manage teams and support the development of less experienced staff
- Significant UK water infrastructure experience
- Proactive approach, with an ability to adapt to changing scenarios
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams, managing clients and other project stakeholders
- Ability and experience of use of different pipe materials and installation techniques
- Able to travel to other offices and sites, as required
- Understanding of network management, meter and valve installations
- Understanding of pipeline commissioning, and clean water pipeline survey techniques
You'll join an innovative and motivated team of engineers, leading the delivery of feasibility, outline and detailed design work, in close partnership with clients and contractors. We're looking for a capable technical principal to assist us in delivering clean water pipelines work on our trunk mains leakage programme of planned and reactive leaks, as well as across our portfolio of clean water growth schemes which we deliver for Thames Water developer services. You'll be responsible for:
- Providing guidance and technical leadership across our programmes throughout the project lifecycles, from feasibility studies through to detailed design and construction support.
- Leading the delivery of potable water pipelines schemes to budget, programme and quality standards
- Developing engineering solutions to growth challenges, as well as complex trunk main burst repairs, bespoke design solutions for clean water asset repair and maintenance, mains rehabilitation, and development of asset condition assessments in a collaborative approach with the contractor,
- Providing technical assurance during the design phase, ensuring quality of outputs and compliance with standards, specifications, and governance requirements
- Involvement and active management of design risk to deliver constructable design solutions
- Producing and reviewing engineering calculations, specifications, drawings and reports
- Supporting continuous improvement of procedures and processes to drive efficiency and innovation, contributing to the application of our digital engineering initiatives
- Directing and developing a team of design staff, supporting their professional development
- Engaging regularly with the Client and stakeholders to build and maintain positive collaborative relationships
- Working collaboratively across disciplines to ensure the efficient delivery of projects within your portfolio
- Contributing to commercial success through forecasting and risk management, and the production of bids and proposals.
We offer career progression in technical, management or commercial/client-facing directions, or a combination thereof depending on what best interests you – you'll have control of your own career path. This role will present you with a fantastic opportunity to further develop your skills in all areas, with great prospects for career progression as the business continues to grow.
Our highly successful water consultancy business is servicing ever-increasing workloads from both domestic and international markets. As a result, we have exciting opportunities for experienced pipeline design engineers to join our growing team. You'll lead the design of innovative, safe and sustainable solutions for provision of clean water, vital to meet the ever-growing demands of development, leakage challenges, population growth and climate change.
Our client base includes Thames Water, for whom we provide design support across a diverse portfolio of pipeline and network schemes from network reinforcement, growth and leakage. In addition, we provide design services for complex pumping station designs, booster stations and treatment works assessments. We are involved on several major frameworks for Thames Water for AMP7 and beyond, including design and build projects, major treatment works projects and strategic resource options.
The role is based in Reading, Birmingham or Croydon, with opportunities for agile working. The position can be offered on either a full-time or a part-time basis.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
For more information about our Environment sector click here
For more information about our Water sector click here