Trainee Accountant School Leaver
MazarsFull time Full day
Overview of the Accounting and Outsourcing service line
Our Accounting and Outsourcing team works to support our clients to better run their finance functions, understand their financial position and performance, and to ensure they are compliant with changing accounting and tax legislation. With the relentless pace of technology change you will need to be able to advise clients in areas such as process and digitalisation, business performance and financial reporting, while building enduring relationships that positions Mazars as a trusted adviser. Our successful team of more than 250 professionals is growing across all areas including cloud accounting, payroll, financial reporting and company secretarial.
An introduction to our SME team:
The SME team specialise in providing a wide range of accounting, tax and advisory services to the SME market. The clients will usually be owner managed businesses, typically below a £10m turnover, that have few complex issues, but who appreciate a service provided by a single team so that all information about the business and their personal objectives are understood by the Mazars team members that they work with. Clients can be limited companies, partnerships or sole traders, where we prepare their accounts, business tax computations and personal tax returns. The team provides a wide range of support and advice that is relevant to SMEs, covering aspects such as digital accounting systems, tax mitigation, trading internationally and simply being a sounding board for our clients.
The role is to ensure accurate and timely preparation of statutory financial statements and tax compliance for a range of SME clients. You will work under the direction of Seniors, Assistant Managers and Managers, providing high quality advice on their year-end compliance process and work with other teams to deliver an excellent client experience.
We are moving to a new hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
During your first two years you will:
- Learn how to use accounting and tax software and systems in order to prepare less complex financial statements for clients' year end requirements.
- Develop an understanding of financial statements and the nature of the clients' business.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
- Work closely with your colleagues to encourage teamwork and asking questions to proactively aid your development.
- IXBRL tagging.
During your third year you will:
- Manage your own assigned client work, with a focus on efficiencies to maximise business performance also.
- Self-review your own work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers.
- Have confident knowledge of accounting standards which you apply to a given set of year end financials.
- Prepare the corporation tax, personal tax and P11D returns and computations for less complex clients.
- Develop a sound technical knowledge of up to date accounting and tax matters.
- Coach and lead more junior team members.
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements.
In your final year you will be expected to be able to take responsibility for the junior members of your team. You will train them and review their work.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills and the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don't always go to plan – so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- On track to achieve or have obtained a minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund your study towards the AAT qualification, upon success of this you will have the opportunity to study towards your ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track
Annual Leave +
Cycle to Work
Flexible Benefits +
Meet the recruiter
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.