Sustainability Team Leader - #35218
At AECOM, we’re delivering a better world.
We believe infrastructure creates opportunity for everyone. Whether it’s improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive.
Our clients trust us to bring together the best people, ideas, technical expertise and digital solutions to our work in transportation, buildings, water, the environment and new energy. We’re one global team – 47,000 strong – driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world.
Here, you will have freedom to grow in a world of opportunity.
AECOM’s Sustainability team are industry leaders in the field of low carbon design and sustainability in the built environment. Our projects range from working with national and local Government to support policy makers, to developing energy and sustainability strategies for the design and planning of new developments or to assisting clients to decarbonise their existing buildings and estates.
We are looking to expand our established Building Engineering consultancy team in Scotland by the addition of a team of sustainable and net zero buildings specialists. We require a Sustainability Team Leader who will be based in either our Glasgow or Edinburgh office to lead this new and exciting opportunity.
You be required to grow and lead this team, reporting into the Head of Sustainability for the UK Regions. You will be expected to be a seller/doer, able to win and deliver consultancy and strategic advisory work on the basis of your own expertise and knowledge, and by leveraging AECOM’s wider national and global pool of expertise and staff resources. We expect you to work closely with our experts in our 100+ strong sustainability team as well as wider AECOM colleagues and external partners to deliver this work.
The job responsibilities will include:
- Work winning: preparing bids and proposals and responding to tenders to win work
- Collaboration: working with other AECOM teams in Scotland and the UK Sustainability group to develop winning bids and to deliver successful projects
- Recruitment and line management: you will have the opportunity to recruit staff (supported by our Talent Acquisition team) to grow a team in Scotland
- Project management and delivery of consultancy services, including the management of multi-disciplinary teams
- Client engagement: engaging directly with established AECOM clients in Scotland to understand their sustainability challenges and to present and showcase our sustainability and net zero offering
- Thought leadership: preparing thought leadership articles and presenting at key external events to showcase AECOM’s expertise and contribute to the Net Zero debate in Scotland
- Proven track record of winning work to provide sustainability and net zero consultancy services for the built environment.
- Significant experience of delivering energy, carbon and sustainability consultancy and strategic advisory services to a range of private and public sector clients.
- Experience with line management.
- Experience of project managing consultancy assignments involving multiple disciplines and/or teams and stakeholders.
- An ability to communicate effectively, be client-facing and write concise and clear reports.
- An understanding of the UK and Scotland-specific policy and regulatory framework relating to energy use, carbon emissions from and sustainability of buildings.
- A detailed knowledge of the measures and systems for reducing carbon emissions within the built environment, including energy demand reduction, renewable energy generation, and low carbon energy supply and demand management options.
- Experience of team working in a consultancy environment, to deadlines and a fixed budget.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of working with key AECOM clients in Scotland (such as Scottish Government, Universities, Health Trusts, Network Rail, Local Authorities, etc.)
- Knowledge of low carbon district heating networks.
- Experience with energy and carbon related policy research and development of regulations and guidance.
- Experience with preparing Heat Decarbonisation Plans and/or PSDS applications for public sector clients.
- Experience of working with Ministry of Defence sites.
- Experience of working with commercial real estate clients to develop GHG emissions baselines, science-based targets and net zero pathways.
- A good Bachelor's degree in engineering, physics or mathematics related discipline (building services and/or energy related qualifications are highly desirable), although strong candidates with other science backgrounds will be considered.
- A building sustainability/energy related MSc is desirable.
*If not currently chartered, should be working towards chartership with a relevant institution (e.g., CIBSE, Energy Institute, IMechE, IEMA)
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $13.1 billion in fiscal year 2022. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.