Managing Consultant, Power & Renewables - #35456
Wood Mackenzie are the global research, analytics, and consultancy business powering the natural resources industry. For 50 years, we have been providing the quality data, analytics, and insights our customers rely on to inspire their decision making.
Our dedicated oil, gas & LNG, power & renewables, chemicals, metals & mining sector teams are located around the world and deliver a variety of projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies, and economic indicators such as market supply, demand, and price trends.
We have over 1,900 employees in 30 locations, serving customers in nearly 80 countries. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence to help our customers overcome the toughest challenges, and make strategic decisions that will, ultimately, accelerate the world’s transition to a more sustainable future.
The successful candidate will play a key role in our growing EMEA Power & Renewables consulting practice by leading the management and delivery of a variety of strategic/commercial consulting projects. You will be on the leading edge of industry events, working with world class clients and talent. The EMEA consulting team is a talented, collaborative group producing marketleading solutions in rapidly evolving power markets. We work closely with our colleagues across Wood Mackenzie’s wider power and renewables research practice, supporting our solution delivery with high-quality analysis of the value chains of solar PV, onshore and offshore wind, and energy storage. You must be adaptable across the evolving natural resources value chain.
As a Managing Consulting, you are a front-line leader. The role requires a high level of creative thinking and problem-solving ability combined with strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. The candidate will frequently engage with and work alongside senior client teams as they engage with our EMEA and global customers.
You will be responsible for supporting project delivery with cutting edge power and renewables analysis using your knowledge, experience, our data and simulation models to understand the evolution of power supply, market structure and characteristics, costs, revenues, and asset values. You’ll work closely with other subject matter experts from across Wood Mackenzie and our clients to contribute to the growth, quality, and commercial success of our consulting and wider research business.
• Deliver a high-quality service
- Understand the global and regional power and renewable market dynamics, able to effectively discuss recent events and implications with clients and colleagues
- Work with other team members to develop insightful and compelling analysis of the fundamental drivers, sensitivities, and key sources of uncertainty influencing the development, operation, and transformation of Europe’s and wider EMEA power markets
- Write business winning proposals with solutions in line with the client’s issues and needs
- Manage project plans and organise resources for project delivery and manage the workload while coaching team members to ensure a successful delivery
- Providing clear, focused support and expertise to your team in structuring and solving problems
- Present our analysis to clients across a range of mediums, including written reports, data tools, presentations, webinars, communicating recommendations and sensitive messages to senior level client audience
- The Management Consultant is a subject matter expert in at least one key power market technology (solar, wind, battery storage) or power market area and a trusted adviser to our clients with the ability to harness this for business value and growth
• Supporting commercial growth
- Engage with prospective clients and other stakeholders to promote our Power and Renewables consulting offerings
- Build relationships with existing and prospective clients, developing opportunities to demonstrate the scope and value of our consulting, pursue new business and secure revenue growth.
- Use your knowledge and experience to provide support and guidance to junior consultants, contributing to the growth of individuals and development of our team
- Contribute to solution and team development strategies and planning, ensuring that we target the development of solutions to pertinent client questions that offer high value and growth whilst building out a high performing team.
• Information gathering, data analysis and modelling
- Support our modelling activities – such as maintain, develop, and run client model solutions such as cost benefit analysis, asset valuation, LCOE, technology costs and break-evens, understand power dispatch model fundamentals etc.
- Access the economics of assets, quantifying market opportunities for investments in new sources of supply and power system flexibility
- Interpret model outputs, data and complex market intel to produce considered and insightful client solutions
- Co-ordinate data gathering and analysis activities. Ensure that key data flows, including those to/from other research teams, meet agreed specifications on quality, scope, and timeliness
- Researching client and competitor organizations and industry, conducting interviews and facilitating workshops with client employees, management teams and other stakeholders
- Drive collaboration across the business by ensuring completion of complex ad-hoc client requests on time and with high quality, whilst following policies, procedures and best practices
Knowledge & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline such as engineering or finance; master's and/or MBA preferred
- Previous experience (5+ years) at a power and/or renewables focused consulting firm, IPP, power utility, development company, infrastructure fund, bank, or other such analytical or consulting role at a renowned company in the power & renewables industry
- Demonstrated broad industry knowledge combined with sharp business acumen power & renewables issues
- Experience with power market modeling, market profiling, market and commercial due diligence, risk identification and mitigation and high level technology assessments o Strong leadership skills to motivate your team and drive change in your client’s environment
- Distinctive entrepreneurial mind set
- Previous international work experience is a plus
- Exposure to corporate strategy projects a plus
- Fluency in English is mandatory, other European languages are valued
WoodMackenzie is an equal opportunities employer.
We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to WoodMackenzie, including unsolicited resumes sent to a WoodMackenzie business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to WoodMackenzie employees, will be considered WoodMackenzie property. WoodMackenzie will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of unsolicited resume.