DevOps Apprenticeship - #49059
A career that will deliver change. Together, we can help Britain achieve net zero.
Join our DevOps Apprenticeship and you can make an immediate impact, powering the nation today whilst helping to build a sustainable energy future for tomorrow.
“I am in my 3rd year of my apprenticeship, and it has taught me about the whole new world of cyber. Seeing concepts I learnt about in action, defending against threats such as phishing attacks and learning about how different organisations need to view cyber security has been an amazing opportunity, and makes me curious about the future of technology. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time so far, and I am very involved within the teams that I have spent time in.”
Daniel, current cyber apprentice
What is the DevOps Apprenticeship?
EDF run public our cloud platforms in Azure and AWS. You will learn how to effectively operate these cloud platforms at scale. Focussed on either AWS or Azure you will rotate through the AWS or Azure Cloud Platform teams and the DevOps Platform team. Throughout your time on the scheme, you’ll work closely with the Technical Leads, Product Owners and Engineering partners within the Nuclear IT Services Team.
The UK electricity market is changing at pace, as the country moves towards a zero-carbon energy system and relies more and more on flexible and intermittent generation. EDF must continuously improve our IT platforms and tooling to thrive in this market and support the energy market in its transition to zero-carbon.
Nuclear IT Services operating environment is complex, meaning our stakeholders’ needs are constantly shifting and evolving, in several dimensions. To meet the challenges presented by a complex environment, the Nuclear IT Services team needs to work with the right culture and in an effective way.
This means we are:
- Business Centric – so that we structure ourselves and our work around the needs of customers
- Empowered – so that we give our people the ability to solve problems with our customers
- Agile – so that we continually adapt to the changing needs of our customers
- Value Focused – so that we always focus on the most valuable things for our customers
- Accountable – so that it’s clear who is accountable for what and that accountability is visibly discharged
- Employee Friendly - so that we don’t lose what makes this a great place to work and develop
Within this context, the Platform Engineer helps Nuclear IT Services meet our customers’ needs by owning and running large and complex platforms to deliver the agreed benefits.
Platform Engineers are focused on implementing and facilitating the use of DevOps practices within a business and ensuring that the platform is meeting its objective using Service Level Indicators and Service Level Objectives.
What salary and benefits are we offering you?
- Starting salary of £21,819
- 28 days’ annual leave
- Flexible benefits package
- Wellbeing, physical and mental health support services
- Outward Bound programme – team building excursion prior to starting in September
- A dedicated Early Careers Programme Lead for your scheme, as well as the support of a Line Manager and Buddy
Training, development and support for you:
During your time on 2 year scheme, you’ll study for a level 4 DevOps Engineer Apprenticeship with our training provider, QA. You’ll complete this virtually, attending online live tutorials, completing project and lab work, self-led research, and learning, as well as learning from your fellow apprentices.
Once you’ve completed the scheme, you’ll have both qualifications and experience within EDF; that means you’ll be in the best possible position to continue your career. The future is yours for the taking!
Head to our Careers page www.edfenergy.com/careers for more information about the scheme and Apprentice life at EDF.
Where you’ll work:
You will be based at Gloucester Business Park with hybrid working arrangements and occasional travel to Nuclear Operational sites.
What you’ll need to join the team:
- A Level 3 Software apprenticeship OR A-Level in a STEM subject and successful completion of QA’s Aptitude Test OR
- BTEC Diploma in IT and successful completion of QA’s Aptitude Test OR two years experience in a relevant role and successful completion of QA’s Aptitude Test
- A passion for, and awareness of DevOps and/or Platform Engineering, for example current trends and best practices
- An understanding of cloud and digital technologies and how that can be applied to support customer value and bring business benefits – customer-centric mindset
- Good communication skills with the ability to engage, influence, and inspire partners and stakeholders to drive collaboration and alignment;
Our Assessment Centre will be held virtually on Tuesday the 9th of April.
Our selection process is designed to bring out the best in you! We use a strengths-based approach to let you shine and showcase your skills and what truly brings you joy. We believe that embracing our individual strengths lies at the heart of engagement and the motivation to succeed and excel in our work. We’re here to guide you and you’ll find helpful tips and advice about the application process and assessment centre dates on our graduate web pages.
We will be closing this advert when we have our desired number of candidates.
Join us. Together, we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.